Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
It will work with almost any size center as long as you figure the inside border width correctly. That's why I love EQ so much; I can bump up the border width until it does match perfectly.
You still have to be careful as it can look like the blocks are fitting in the border but don't really.

I usually resort to scribbling on paper just to double check.

Case in point - this quilt today.

The version I created and was playing with was a rectangle (I was trying to duplicate the quilt in the picture)- I had the layout set at 8x9 double 9-patch blocks, each block was 9".

I originally had 19 blocks (just by hitting the arrow to increase the number of blocks) for the vertical borders and it looked fine, but it really wasn't.
It needed to be 20, and the top and bottom borders needed to be reduced by .5" to make it come out perfectly (mathematically).

Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
In the version of the quilt on Elizabeth's site, are there two different colors of background used in the alternating quarter square triangles? I wondered if that was the reason to do QSTs instead of just setting squares.Or maybe I'm just seeing an illusion created by the quilting?
Exactly, you can see the seam lines if you zoom in on the border in the picture.

For me it's usually a toss-up on which method to use...is it a scrappy background? would the fabric cuts stand out too much? how I'm feeling that day?
I don't think one is harder or more work than the other...it sort of balances out.