View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Ramona Byrd

Default Moving to another state

Originally Posted by juropat View Post
To my surprise, my dh talked about moving back to his home state
and seems to be serious about it this time. I need some feedback or suggestion about Real Estates.
We have a house that we would have to sell first. Do you look for a house first? Or do you try to sell
yours first? I suggest to dh that we check out some houses before we seriously consider this to be
sure it's comfortable. Definitely, we must have space for our hobbies. Any suggestions or feedback
would be appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------
What I suggested to my kids, was to actually GO there, more than once. And in every weather pattern,
summer, winter, spring and fall. The spring and fall wouldn't be too bad, but some places have such a
nasty weather that older folks simply can not exist there in good health, mainly in winter. But since this
is HIS home state, I'll assume that you both have visited it often, so you pretty much should know all
about the weather there. Then check with the local police to find out if this street or area have more
than their own share of police calls, and what most of them are for!!! Don't want to wind up next door
to a drug dealer. And this happens in "good" neighborhoods too!!

THEN visit that neighborhood several times, for a week running. And don't forget the week ends, when
herds of kids can rampage through the neighborhood and cause a lot of damage. And evenings, week
end evenings might be a horrid shock to those of us who like a quiet neighborhood.

Another suggestion...insist on 2 (TWO) inspections, from different companies. Lots of people have
been suckered into buying a lovely looking wreck, and having to shell out masses of dough for repairs.
Personally, what I would love to have is a house built BY a contractor, FOR himself. That way it should
be a darn good house with good bones and good quality materials.

As for selling first, you must make up your mind if or if not you are going to move. Getting uncluttered
will make your life easier, staying or going. And you will have far less to move, thus saving a lot of
money. Then it might be a good idea to rent for a few weeks or months in the new area. You might
possibly change your minds. Living in an area where you grew up as a strong young person, might
or might not fit in with our aging bodies...snow is fun when we are young, but now I would not like to
live around it. Visit, yes, that I'd love to do, but not ever live there again.

And as for the moving, I'd strongly suggest that on that day, you get hold of one or two cameras and
take careful, VERY careful pictures of all your furniture that is carried out, with good, clear pictures of
the men doing this. As well as pictures of the empty house with a clear view of that days' newspaper
to prove later that you left the house clean and empty, and with all the plumbing and wiring complete.
Since we have masses of cops in our family, we've all heard horror stories about such things.

Good luck...
Good luck, and let us know what happens.