View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 05:01 PM
NJ Quilter

I agree with much of what Ramona has to say. I'd like to eventually move to a different state/area as well. My thoughts on the process are to rent our current home for at least a year as well as to rent in the area I'd like to relocate for at least that long as well. I want to be able to check out specific areas and neighborhoods for the issues that Ramona mentions as well as others so that when we make that 'final' purchase, we know it's the correct one. I only want to be 2-3 hours south of where we currently are so renting our existing home would not be overly cumbersome. Then again, there are realtors that are willing/able to provide an 'overseeing' service for your rental properties as well if distance is an issue. Those expenses are tax deductible to offset any income you may have from the rental income. Do be sure to check out the area thoroughly. Traffic noise/voume may also be an issue for you - it will be for me so that is something else to think about. Pets/visitors? Lots of considerations which is why I want to rent for an extended period to make sure we're making the best decision for US.