Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Honchey

I will miss not making Thanksgiving Turkey Soup this year...We are leaving for NC right after Turkey Day and my son will get all the leftovers...I generally roast a 20 lb bird so we can have leftovers for sandwiches, etc...

I remove all the stuffing from the bird right after roasting....When we're done eating that evening I take as much of the meat off as I can & break up the carcass...When it's time to make the soup I place all the bones & skin in a very large pot at least 12 quarts.... cover the bones with broth or water and simmer it all until it all falls apart...then remove the bones & pieces of skin...don't strain it...all the nooks & crannies that held the stuffing will become part of this fantastic soup...I will then add all the fresh
veggies..carrots,celery,onions,potatoes,mushrooms, parsley...I season it with Bell's Poultry Seasoning...optional salt & pepper. I also add a cup of barley....If I know I won't be using the leftover gravy & stuffing any more I will throw that in too...at this point the soup & will be thick you will have to add more broth or water.....this is not a this soup but you don't want it to be gloppy...This is how my mom used to make it and everyone in my family expects a quart when it's done...

Last edited by Honchey; 11-16-2012 at 07:06 AM.