View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 07:47 AM
PenniF

Ok...now for some quilt trials and tribulations.... and a little giggle...
1 - my tilted star quilt was supposed to be 5 x 6 blocks - of course then with the half blocks all around to complete the "star" which would then have meant just one small border = done. But one of my cats had another idea - and while i was out of the room, apparently knocked one the the 5 block strips behind my sewing table. Sewing fast of course - so i'm seeing all the strips gone/done - must be done with center blocks, right? Put on the top and bottom half blocks strips - went to put on the side strips - and they were 1 row too long. ??? Found the missing strip - then had to chose, rip out 2 rows or just keep going and add more borders....it got the extra borders !!
2. The wolf quilt --- i sewed one entire lengthwise row together right side to wrong side .... had to rip out and resew - then did the same dang thing with one of the lengthwise borders !!! had to rip it out and do again. Seriously...i don't think i will EVER sew anything together without checking twice that the fabric is right side to right side.
3. The star quilt .... i bought a spool of "Signature" variagated blue thread at JoAnns last weekend cuz i had my coupon and nothing really that was non-sale item that i needed - and thought it would work for the blue quilt. I have not bought this brand before - so maybe i messed up and it's for some special machine or something....but half way throught the quilting, the thread literally started dropping off the spool - i don't know how do discribe it well - but it was like an entired layer of the thread would just fall off the spool. It was crazy - i had to sew really slowly - and about every 2 minutes, stop and hand rewind the thread back on the spool.
And finally - i never could have imagined how hard it is to sew black quilting on black fabric !!!! These old eyes were crossing, i can tell you !!

I've said it privately - but i want to THANK YOU -- Bluelady for bringing this together - and to all of the wonderful folks who participated with your work - and everyone who added their blessings. Having the opportunity to be part of this is something i won't ever forget - ""the kindness and generousity of "strangers" " - it's amazing.