View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Edie

I have been quilting since around 2000. I'm a late bloomer! Mom taught me when she was 82. She turned 93 yesterday. I am still learning from her. I started embroidering 12 inch muslin blocks with the Aunt Martha's transfers. I found the sashing to match, the border to match, the backing to match and whatever was left over was the binding. I made a quilt for each one of my grandchildren's hope chest, so they would have a quilt for their first born. The oldest is 17, the middle is 8 and Josh is 7. I made the same type quilt for my niece, my husband's aunt, my husband, and me. Then I figured I'd try for the pieced quilt. Started off with a bang with a Memory quilt with each block having 21 squares and each square being mostly different as there was a lot of fussy cutting and picking and choosing of just the right fabric. Finished that one - it took a year - and made a baby quilt, a Sampler for my mom for Mother's Day, 2009, and then I was asked to make a quilt for the St. Paul Susan G. Komen Walk for Breast Cancer. I did and it turned out beautiful, I think. I did a happy quilt. It is on display now at our local drug store, St. Paul Corner Drug on the corner of St. Clair and Snelling (for any of you that live in the Mac Grove area) and it is being raffled off on, I believe, the 15th or 5th of November. They have raised an awful lot of money for this raffle and I am so very proud and humbled. I thank God I have never had breast cancer. I thank God that my husband has survived Leukemia and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I wrote a book to go with it telling about the people in the neighborhood that I can remember.

Actually, I do that with all my quilts. I write a story. Provenance for one and just to let people know what it meant to me to make the quilt, how I became bonded with the quilt (you all know that feeling) and felt like a child had left the nest.

I am now in the process of making a quilt for our son's best friend's first baby and then I am going to try a QOV (Quilt of Valor). I would like to make a few of those. Then I have a UFO - Floating Stars which I am making for our bed, the memory quilt is my legacy, I guess. My life. Am 71 now and have a lot of quilting to do.