View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 05:21 AM
amh

You have a jem of a machine there. It is indeed a Singer 185. From what you have said, it appears you have a Singer 185J. From what I understand, the J's were made in Canada, or perhaps the J was added if they were going to be sold in Canada.

I learned to sew on a machine just like it. It was my mothers first electric sewing machine, purchased in the 1950s. She sewed everything on it and then when she upgraded continued to sew her quilts on it. When it became too heavy to lift, as a result of her advancing age, she stowed it in the corner. A few years ago I asked her what she was going to do with it and that conversation was one of the best we ever had. She loved that old machine and was in a quandry about what to do with it. I gave her a good solution -- Have you thought about ME. She was happy and I was delighted. I have sewn almost all my quilts on it since I received it.

It is a heavy old girl, but that is because there is not one piece of plastic on it. When I got it I oiled it extensively. Oil and set on a towel just in case there are drips. Wiped it off and reoiled the next day. I did that for about 5 days and then fired her up. She purred like a kitten. The tension, everything was just perfect.

You have a workhorse. This machine can sew canvas, and very fine lace. She just adjusts on her own. She is my favorite sewing machine. I use her all the time, and just taking my newer one to retreats or classes because of the weight.

Enjoy

Aileen