Old 11-18-2012, 03:14 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

when my granddaughter's started sewing i set them up a table that was just their size- with chairs that fit them- used a machine i could turn the speed down on-so if they were a little heavy footed it did not get out of control. they laid their fabrics out on the floor the way they wanted them then they sewed them together- they used scissors to cut- i ironed for them- and if they wanted anything cut they had trouble with they brought it to me for using the rotory cutter (no one under 18 gets to use the cutters)
the youngest was 4 when she made her daddy a special quilt---some of her seams were narrow, some were an inch wide- few were very straight- but she made it her way- loved it- he loved it even more & now 8 years later- it is still one of his all time best/favorite quilts and i'm sure will be so all his life.
her skills have improved, her interest and ability has grown over the years - as has the other 2 girls also...in our world the fact i give them (fairly free rein) with guidance has sparked their creativity and made them feel if they can ((envision) it they can create it