Old 11-19-2012, 05:44 AM
WMUTeach

I started with my almost nine year old grand daughter this summer and believe it or not she loved to iron. While she ironed scraps and I cut standard cut squares we began to talk about colors and why it was important to have straight edges. We then went to my stash and picked out 9 fabrics that she liked and made 12 inch blocks for a simple nine patch. I used some scraps for her to practice sewing a straight (well, almost straight) seam and to lean how much pressure to put on the pedal. We do all of this so naturally because of our time invested in sewing. She needed some experience. For me the hardest part was allow her to sew without my hands guiding her. One rule that I have found with teaching anyone anything is....when they get tired let them stop. My GD would stop and I could see her losing tired slumped shoulders, so we stopped and I would sew on my project for a while. She would see me being persistent with my work and she would return and work on her quilt a little more. The end result was a joyful little girl who made the 9 patch, I quilted it and she and I worked on the binding together. A little hand sewing by her and I together. She is so proud of her project! I am looking forward to her coming back next summer for a new sewing project.