Thread: Quilting demo.
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 06:16 AM
cad_queen_2000

This is something that the quilting club that I belong to did, maybe you could do something like this:

My ladies and I were asked to participate in a Kids Summer Art Camp in August. We were supposed to be helping the students (ages 8 - 10) with creating "blocks" out of ceramic. The blocks were then supposed to be put together to represent a quilt.

The day before the class, I got a call saying that none of the supplies had come in. I happened to have a box of 5" squares and a small lap quilt top. I suggested that the students could tie the lap quilt to show them how a quilt goes together.

The day of the class we arrived and were given a tour of the facilities and shown all of the art work that the students had done so far. Once we saw that everything they had done so far was individual, we decided against having them tie the quilt. Instead, we would give them squares that they could hand sew together, sandwich and tie together to make a placemat.

This way, they would have their own little quilts that they could take home with them. So, I piled all of the squares on a table and had them to pick out 12 squares. My ladies and I then began to instruct them on how to sew them together.

We completed these in about 3 hours. (That includes time off for lunch, cutting up the backing and batting, and remember the kids were all between the ages of 8 and 10). This was all kind of a "flying by the seat of our pants" thing, since we had never done this type of thing before. We also machine bound all the little quilts. I think your ladies would be able to do this in 2 hours.

There was another group of senior ladies that were supposed to be helping the students too, but somehow they wound up making a placemat too. Instead of the just the 9 or 10 students making quilts, we wound up making around 23 little quilts. It was a lot of work, but everyone involved thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

We took along different styles of quilts (pieced, appliqued, tied, hand quilted, etc) to show them the different ways of completing the quilts. We showed them various sizes of quilt tops also. There was 5 of us doing the instructing (about a 4:1 ratio)

The kids (and the other group of seniors) were really excited about their quilts. A couple of them even said that they wanted to start their own quilts at home. The organizers liked it so much that they want to do the same thing next year. (Although, I think next year I would plan on taking more than one sewing machine, and be a little more organized.)
Attached Thumbnails kids-quilts.jpg   wall-quilt.jpg