View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 01:09 PM
nickylsf

Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
Ronda, I had to go back to Alabama and see what your star colors were. Your beach theme is a lot of fun.

Nicky, Your quilting looks so good. I'm very impressed with your FMQ. I took a class but need to do some practicing. One thing bothers me though. Our stars have so many pieces and such subtle color changes, it seems like some of it is lost in the quilting. ???? and I just noticed that purple one (bottom right of the first picture). Wow, that is great.

I was just rereading what I wrote and it sounds like I was criticizing your quilting, which is totally not the case It was more of a philosophical comment about quilting in general. If we can be philosophical about quilting.
Sue, no offense taken at all!!! The purple one you had not seen since it is Wyoming, and I had not posted it individually. I suppose I should continue to post them individually to the end.

It is true that the quilting kinda gets lost, in fact sometimes it feels like driving in a snowstorm as I am doing them. But, the quilt has to be quilted to keep the layers together and to keep the batting from shifting, so there is no way around it.

On this one, I am doing the 7 large sections, with a big overall pattern on each section. My usual way of quilting is to "quilt each block to death" which I love to do, but it would be a waste on these, plus the seam intersections are murder. With large designs overall I can usually maneuver around the thick spots, notably the centers.

Granted the quilting on this quilt is far from perfect, but it's mine, it's free and once it is all together and washed and poofy it will be Fabulous! Here is the section I quilted last night:
Attached Thumbnails img_4181.jpg