Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Mizkaki

Miriam,

I had a Japanese made machine a few years ago that the top and nose were all one piece.
To get 'under the hood'. the top hinged on the (I think) the right side. Look for hidden hinges.

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I picked up a 'Rodney' sewing machine - made in Japan - looks like 1960s two tone blue with some nice knobs and buttons on it. I've been trying to figure out how to get the top off. No pic yet - GKs showed up. The bigger kids watched a video so my helpers were Miss L and Wilbur. Wilbur had to tear himself away and 'help' grandpa cook chicken on the grill. They love it at the shop - all kinds of dangerous chemicals, grease, oil, heavy sewing machines - tiny parts - Q-TIPS! yeah Q-TIPS! - buy stock youall.... Anyway. As I was pondering the 'Rodney' Miss L my 'helper' comes in and wants to know what I'm doing. So I explained it to her and she sat and looked and looked - we didn't get it off - we did figure out how to get it loose. That machine all oiled up is slick! I'm thinking Rodney will hot rod! It will do zz and FM and ss - that's it. It just looks like it ought to sew itself. So in comes Walter and Wilbur - where do they head - straight for 'Rodney' So many buttons and knobs!!! Screwdrivers. Wow and it is a BLUE sewing machine!!! Do all guys grow up with knobs and buttons on their brains? The top of that machine and the nose is all one piece - there is a big nut type thing under the top that holds it on - then the pressure regulator keeps it from coming off. I don't think I want to remove that thing. Last time I did one I had a shaft hit the ceiling... Miss L and I looked the rest of the machine over and discovered that the motor cord was melted - someone must have used liquid wrench on it or something - it was a nearly a puddle. So Miss L and I took the motor off and looked at how I was going to fix that. The wires are soldered on, Glenn. Then we 'discovered' a PINK - yes Rodney came with a PINK foot control poor Rodney - how embarrassing... Then I messed with 2 Singer 306 machines. Those will hot rod too. They have cool knobs and levers but they just aren't two tone and BLUE - just only godzilla brown. So I tested a New Home and a White - it was missing a bobbin winder - I stuck one from a donor on there. So much for my plans to get the Kenmore machines fixed. Oh and Joe, I messed with that Good Housekeeper I got at GW, Joe - Melinda I might need a manual - all but one knob seems to work now. Is that suppose to have a clear plastic cover over the front? Seems a bit wonky. We tested out every type of old cam I have in the place - nada... none fit. The one Kenmore I started with - one knob still frozen up. I'm thinking I might buy myself a Dremmel tool for my birthday.

Sure good to see Charlee around again and Trish & Pat too.