View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM
MacThayer

When I buy a fabric I've just fallen in love with, I try to find yet another coordinating fabric to go with it that I also love. Then I buy at least 3 yards of each, sometimes 4. I've got lots of blenders in my stash so I don't bother with that, unless there are some wonderful blender fat quarters that would be terrific. I've learned the hard way that if you get too little fabric, and then want to do a quilt, you won't have enough fabric if you only get a yard or so. I tend to "bundle up" coordinating fabrics for projects so that the colors are already selected by the time I decide what to do with them. This often involves several shopping selections, and Aha! That will go with my "peach and aqua collection!" or "what a fantastic contrasting color for my purple and yellow collection!" It seems I get my colors collected, and then I start my project, not the other way around.

As for sewing machines, there are lots out there. I picked up a second hand, barely used Janome for $800 (was selling in the store for $2,400), and I'm just in love with it. Sews like a dream! Best machine I've ever owned. But do make sure there's a place where it can be serviced before you buy a brand. Or visit their service department. They may be able to tell you what's about to come in on trade, and whether its worth buying, especially if they've been servicing it for a while. I almost got a Janome that way, but in the end, the woman decided she couldn't part with it. The one I found was on Craig's list.

Best of luck to you, and happy sewing/quilting!