Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Lori S

I suggest lighting around the perimeter as well as center. When I first converted a room I had lighting just in the center. Well there were still shaddows since the work areas were around the perimenter and the light had to come over my back. I now have perimeter lighting( on a seperate switch). It made a big difference.
When layout out space... use a method used by archtects. Write down each defined work space and storage area. Then in a column next to it write the adjacencies /relationship space.. example sewing machine whould have a relationship to Ironing, fabric storage to cutting table, etc. When it comes to storage its helpful to break this into mulitple categories and define the relationship of the specifics. This will help to ensure in the planning that the room is efficient . In a work space such as a studio.. it also helps it to stay neater .
One thing I really wish I had not skimped on is a hand sink in the area. Everytime I work on white fabric( hand washing), or need to put water in my iron, or just want to dampen my cleaning cloth... I could just kick myself.

Last edited by Lori S; 11-20-2012 at 06:59 AM.