View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Vanuatu Jill

Originally Posted by AZ Cottontail Quilter View Post
These are wonderful!! I love the one I bought about 20 years ago at a huge street fair in Ventura, California. Mine is made out of green jeans and has a great calico flower material "belt".

What I love most about it is the story behind it. Teen I bought it from was running the booth for her mother who was on lunch break. She said that my bag was made from her younger sister's jeans. Mom had started doing craft fairs to help with family expenses and now that she had exhausted her daughters' supply of gently used jeans, she had started buying jeans from resale shops because the purses were so popular.
Nice story! I know how popular they are, especially with teens. I have had tremendous success selling these. Plus, they last forever and are so versatile. Each one is different, too! I have made them from black, brown, and different blue denims so far. I even tried one from a pink pair of just cotton pants. I love putting different fabrics with them for lining and ties. I love the butterfly one I did with a leather belt studded with silver butterflies instead of a fabric tie. I used bright butterfly fabric for strap lining and inside lining and fused butterflies on the outside. They are so much fun to make!