Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM
quilttiger

Remember the Bailey machine does not have any feed dogs, so do a quilt sandwich with batting in it. It is recommended that you practice a bit with the machine off the carriage before using the carriage. I had a shortarm which required loose tension probably because the machine did 1500 stitches per minute. Bailey is really the opposite since it does 700 stitches per minute. Go with the top and bottom tensions as done already on the machine when you first got it. You can experiment later, especially when you try different threads at different weights. I love the SR...there are instructions on setting a minimum stitching speed. That didn't work for me and I chose to get out of that option. You can set the dial as to the length you want. Since it does 700 stitches, it is probably better not to stitch so fast. Do go over the posts in the Bailey forum....lots of good information there! The thread may whip off the spool too fast and get wrapped around the lever, etc. I put three 3M cord organizers in such a way the thread has to travel a zigzag path and it works great! The O-rings may break off the take up lever...they did for me....DH cut a piece of plastic tubing and slid it over the lever all the way to the back of the lever, still leaving the hole open for the thread to come through. I just finished my third quilt on it, and I am happy with my Bailey. Do feel free to PM if you have any questions or concerns.