View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 AM
imnywoman

Hi Susan,
Wow, I hear you but going "cheap" isn't always the right way. I used to think the same thing and you do get tired of wrestling that quilt. I thought anything that was cheap would fit my requirements. Not true. While I did buy a used short arm (Hinterberg Weekender) off ebay, it really doesn't satisfy my "hunger" for quilting because it is such a limited space. It did however, enable me to get a quilt together because I had moved from a house to an apartment and there was absolutely no room to spread out a top and make my quilt sandwich and I have learned basics and techniques that I will use on a real longarm eventually, including pantographs and quilt marking.

So I thought, well, I'll buy a real longarm and whatever is cheap will do. Now I am glad that I didn't jump into that idea. The more research I have done, the more I realize that even used, it's a big investment and I don't want to have a bad case of buyers remorse.

After looking at everything that's out there, I started to really pay attention to customer reviews. That speaks volumes. What they had to say about not only the machine, but the reliability and customer service from the company led me to rethink some of the machines that I originally thought were good options.

I have also been trying out the demos at quilt shows and I surprised myself now that I am really serious. I've tried them out before, at shows and at LQS and always thought, wow, this is great I wish I had this. Well, now that I am truly serious, it took on a whole different light. This time when I demo'd 2 of the 3 available (3rd was so crowded, couldn't get the chance) I could immediately tell the difference between the 2. And even though the 2nd one offered me a trade, I wouldn't have taken it, there was too much vibration in the machine. So, now I am patiently waiting to try some others, while I save my pennies. While I am doing this, I am still researching the used machine market and looking to see what the going rate is for the various machines, and what people are including with them.

I know this is long, but there are other factors to consider and I wouldn't want you to have regrets. In the meantime, I will also say that I am determined to learn more about the shortarm I own and I have actually just completed the first quilt that I didn't have thread breakage. I joined a users group on Yahoo and gained an enormous amount of insight from the wonderful ladies and gents there. I can send you a links to sites and leads after the holiday if you would like. Hope this helps.

Have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving.
Patti