View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM
katkat1946

I am totally with you, CoffeeBreak, on this point of confusion. I ALWAYS prewash my yardage, FQ's. I just posted today about an issue I'd had with a Moda Layer Cake. Although I really don't remember if I prewashed them or not, I know that if I had they would have been in a mesh bag and washed on delicate. Delicate is what I use for all pre-washing and if I'm doing small pieces they always go in a bag. Anyway, when I got ready to use them NONE of them was square nor 10". Moda was very good to me and replaced my layer cake even though I did not ask for that. They also said, as you mentioned, they suggest that pre-cuts not be prewashed. That leaves me wondering how they can "play nicely" when mixed with yardage that HAS been prewashed. The new layer cake seems square and 10" but what if it's not cut on the straight of grain? Once sewn in and the quilt is washed will they become wonky and appear distorted? Am I better off to prewash and find this out ahead of time? And although most quilters seem to have never had a problem when they do NOT prewash, the occasional person who has makes prewashing a good idea to me. I don't want to put a lot of work and $ into a quilt only to have something go wrong because I didn't prewash the fabrics.