View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 10:01 AM
lalaland

I learned how to quilt using Alex Anderson's Start Quilting book. I made the rail fence quilt. The other book I use, and love because it has big, clear pictures was Bits and Pieces Quilt by Anne Dease. I'm into simple so I bought Ursula Reikes Quilts for Baby books (I think there are 3 in all). Any design can be made with non baby fabrics for a whole different look and her instructions and pictures are the best. I'm a visual learner so need those pictures!

As for sewing, I would suggest three things. You read your machine manual cover to cover and then go back and do all the things it shows you so you feel comfortable with your machine. Then take a beginning sewing class. Nothing beats that hands on experience and being with other new sewers. If that is not an option, you could try some of the You Tube tutorials. As for books, I'm lost as to what to recommend. I teach sewing to high school kids and have gotten good information from the books geared to children, they just offer a simpler way to explain things and the projects are useful like pillow cases and removable pillow covers and tote bags.