View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM
sew_Tracy

Location: Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
Default Tracy's Bordeaux (See's Clone) Candy

When I moved to Alabama, one of the things I missed most was See's Candy and the Bordeaux Bars. Missed it enough to create my own clone of it for the holidays...here goes!

Bordeaux Candy
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp instant coffee
pinch of salt
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
12 oz milk or dark chocolate (your preference)
1 tsp Crisco

For the fondant. Over medium heat, melt butter and brown sugar together in a heavy pan. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream, coffee, and salt and bring back to a boil. Stir constantly for 30 seconds and remove from heat. Let it cool for 10 minutes. Add sifted powdered sugar to mixture and mix in well. Chill until mixture can hold shape of a ball. Roll into 1 1/2 to 2 inch balls.

For the dip. Melt chocolate in the microwave in 1 minute increments or over a double boiler. Add the Crisco to the melted chocolate and mix well. Dip candy balls into melted chocolate then place on wax paper to cool. If you like, you can add chocolate cake sprinkles while the chocolate is still soft on the fondant.

If you were wondering about the Crisco. Real candy makers often use wax, but Crisco works just as well. It gives the chocolate a nice gloss and helps it distribute better over the cold fondant.

Let cool and be careful...these guys are rich!