View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM
coffeebreak

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
If you want to prewash (and I prewash!) then understand washing precuts will make them not square and smaller than what they started out as. Quilters pay a premium to have precuts done to a size they can use immediately and not fuss with or many times avoid cutting. If you're going to wash them, why pay a premium for this and you should just buy the yardage...
I figured that was why they were "invented". And it is a nice option to just buy and a few cuts and sew, but still..if 100% cotton shrinks, it will shrink once the quilt is made and make the quilt wonky or puckered, wouldn't it?

I never buy them, well hardly ever. I watch the sales/coupons at Joann's and buy them then. I make lap quilts for people at my church and one fat quarter makes the halt the points for 5 Northern Star blocks, the other half being a matching solid. I bought, washed and they shrunk and wrinkled, but I ironed and cut and had a tad of scrap left over.

The reason I ask is I just won a contest and it was a complete full line of a Moda fabric line of the fat quarterscalled "sew Stitchy" and complete line of Moda cakelayers "Simply Color". These are quality brand fabrics..and I have used Kona solids from Joann's but that is the extent of my "quality". So I don't know if I should or shouldn't. Usually I do just buy the yardage and cut my own..really not that big a deal or time spent!