View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 06:48 PM
coffeebreak

Originally Posted by Bataplai View Post
I prewash my fabrics for the most part. It's not as much because of shrinkage, it's more because I like the feel and behavior of fabric that has been pre-washed then starched. There are a few exceptions:
  • I had not been pre-washing cut fabric, anything smaller than a fat quarter, because of the unraveling. But, I just recently read about washing cut fabric pieces in a lingerie bag... so I bought one, just haven't tried it yet.
  • If I am working with some pre-cut pieces that haven't been washed than I don't wash any yardage I'm putting with it.
  • If I am working with a panel, I don't pre-wash anything - that messes up the panels. Learned that the hard way!
  • I always pre-wash my flannel (and now starch it too, makes a big difference).
Hope this helps!
I have washed charms in a lingerie bag and that does help alot...no lost pieces in the washer and just keeps them all together. I still have to iron them out but like you said...starch and iron is great. I just got some FQ's at Joann's and washed them just tossed them in with my color clothes and other than wrinkles, no big shrinking issue...starch and iron. I didn't measure to see if there was any shrinkage in inches but it didn't look wonky.

I was asking as I just won a drawing of a full line of MODA fat quarters and another full line of MODA cake layers. The FQ's I am not much worried about.. I'll wash, but the cake layers...much smaller and them being a quality brand, not Joann's brand...would it matter either way? Just stick the cake layers in a lingerie bag like I did the charms?