View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 08:17 AM
lainealex

Originally Posted by kat70113 View Post
This book might help you.

Drafting and Design Simplified (Quilting Library)Sarah Sacks Dun http://www.amazon.com/Drafting-Desig.../dp/1579545033
Thanks, I will get this book right away.

Now here is something interesting:

I used my scanner on my printer and enlarged the block/grid in the Jinny Beyer book until I got a twelve inch block, as I mentioned above. However, now I am measuring all of the pieces in the block - the central octagon, the three stars radiating out from the octagon, etc - and there are fairly significant size discrepancies between the pieces that should be the same sizes and measurements. This is the same thing that happened to me when I drafted it from scratch. So for example, the central octagon has lines that should all be exactly the same length, but instead they are all varying in length by about 1/8 inch! And this continues in the measurements throughout the block.

What does this mean? Does it mean that I should just make a template based on an average of all these lengths? Or does it mean I should be working with a computer draft design?

I am just worried that if I make up templates and one is too large or small by 1/8 inch I will be in major trouble after a few seams. But the only way to know the correct sizes of the pieces is to draft it, and now I have done that two ways (doing it from scratch and blowing up the JB grid) and I'm getting all this irregularity.

Thank you for any insights...

Lainey