View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 PM
DonnaFreak

Default Coloring Printable Fabric?

Howdy y'all :c)

Last year my 2nd cousin's wife did a great job putting together a family reunion for my father's side of the family. She is planning on doing another one next year, and I want to make a quilt for her in appreciation for all the work she puts into it. I have yet to make an art quilt, but have an idea for making a "Family Tree" quilt for her.

I have an old black and white photo of my paternal grandfather with his 10 sons and his first grandson. I would like to print the photo onto fabric, stencil a tree onto the background fabric with the word "Family" stamped on the trunk, then cut around the photo to make it shaped like the tree leaves and appliqué it onto the stenciled tree. In order for it to look right, I would have to somehow make it green, yet make it light enough for the photo to still show through.

I've asked friends who quilt and also shops that sell the printable fabric how to go about doing this, but so far no one even knows if you can color printable fabric at all.

Does anyone have any ideas how u can do this, or even if it can be done? I saw an episode of "Quilting Arts" recently where her guest star used acrylic ink to color fabric (she said she uses cotton sheeting to color?), and she showed how to give it a pale, water-color look. Would that work? I'd sure appreciate some comments and ideas on this! Thanks y'all! :c)

Donna