View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 11:48 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

This is a beautiful design. I am assuming you wanted to fussy cut fabric like Jinny did to acheive the same tile mosaic effect.

If that were not the case, I would have drafted it quite more simply than drawn out with 8 triangle meeting in the middle like a kaliediscope block. However, I have to agree that the block's beauty is definitely in how Jinny used her fabric and fussy cut motifs for specific areas.

The center hex shouldn't have given you too much trouble. I would have drafted it like a mariner's compass star using a compass drafted circle for the center hex. Then once I had drafted my first 8 star points I would have drawn straight lines across where the star bases met the inner most circle to get my hex. From there I would have continued to draft like a multi pointed MC. However, I can see where those outside bits that form the background of your star would give you a lot of trouble. This definitely is the kind of block that would be best adapted to hand peicing. You should get Judy Mathieson's book "Mariner's compass setting a new course" she gives great directions in how to draft star blocks like this in any size.