View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 04:53 PM
elizajo

I smoked a 14 pound turkey this year for the first time. From what I read, it is difficult to keep the temp at a safe level on a gas smoker for a larger bird, so I didn't want to press my luck. My grocery store didn't have a turkey that wasn't "enhanced" so I was reluctant to brine it. Instead, I made a wet rub from herbs and olive oil and rubbed it between the skin and meat, then injected it with wine and broth first, then melted garlic butter. I smoked it with apple wood.

We needed more turkey for a larger crowd,so I bought a turkey breast, which DH deboned and butterflied for me. I pounded it out thin and rubbed boudin (pork sausage and rice) removed from the casings over it, then rolled and tied it with butcher's twine. I roasted it in the oven and pulled it out an hour before eating so I could heat the sides. It rested in a cooler with warm towels.

Both were very tasty. Best of all, I had a smoked carcass to make broth today and just finished making a turkey and andouille gumbo.

ETA: I get tired of everyday cooking, so I'm glad DH helps out with that, but I really enjoy cooking for holidays now.

Last edited by elizajo; 11-23-2012 at 04:56 PM.