View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 AM
gardnergal970

Originally Posted by Xtgirl View Post
So, I'm joining in but super new to this kind of mystery. I bought all fat quarters( as I have no stash)except the grey which is yardage. Are we using all the grey and b+w's in this step. I'm assuming not. Trying to figure out how best to cut the fat quarters into 2 inch strips so as to waste the least amount possible.

My colors are purple, teal, orange and grey
I have some FQ's too and I cut them from the selvage side. After I've squared up the piece, I can be fairly confident that I'm cutting on the straight grain of the fabric which also gives me a sturdier block to sew. I even cut an 18 inch piece off of my grey because I like that size strip to work with. For sure, I did have some ends but I'm learning from Bonnie what to do with them so there is nothing lost. It also makes it easier to stack the fabric in the pairs you will finally sew. After I straightened one edge of my fabrics, I would line up a grey and background, spray starch them well, iron carefully, trim again after they are ironed together and then cut 2 inch strips. Done that way, the pairs don't slide around so much when sewing. This is much more than you asked for and I hope I haven't offended you. I'm just so happy with how mine turned out I couldn't help but talk about it. Everything is more square since I added the starching step. Really the first time I tried it.