View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 07:21 AM
LindaR

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
My 1st reaction is to ask what size needle you are using? I have found that most new machine quilters are using a needle that is too small for the speed and friction of machine quilting. I would suggest a top stitch or jeans needle if your machine takes a domestic sewing machine needle. Be sure to get your needle advise from someone who quilts on a FRAME...I had to argue with a young man in an industrial sewing machine shop. He wanted to sell me a machine quilting needle. It was fine for quilting on my domestic machine, but not on my frame! His boss finally had to tell him to give me what I was asking for!(I started on a table top frame with a Juki and then a Handiquilter16) The needle gets alot of torque and needs to be sturdier than you think. Even if you are not breaking the needle, you could need a bigger one. My long arm uses a 16 or 18 depending on the type of thread. Hang in there! Its TOTALLY a process...I have been there...frustrating!
I totally agree with this...I use a size 18 most of the time...size 14 just can't take the fast speed and hold up...try that