Thread: Sewing Straight
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 AM
coffeebreak

Originally Posted by schnurke View Post
I am a newbie, with a 1979 Singer 7110, making basic square patch pillow covers and quilts. I have a mentor who is very talented but has never taught anyone to do this before. She also has limited time. I feel uncomfortable with the way that I am sewing my square patches together. I know this is pretty dang easy to do compared to other things you could do with a machine, but like I said, I'm new My mentor says I am doing a good enough job, but I know that I could do better and expect that it could feel more natural to me.

I don't get how to guide without pushing or pulling or put perhaps too much pressure down with the left hand. And I am curious to find out what some of you people do with your right hands. I have picked up, at another forum, that people do these things differently.

I never took sewing in junior or high school, I'm afraid.

I just feel uncomfortable at the machine and am looking for tips on what my hands should be doing. Of course, maybe I just need practice
I was teaching my grand daughters how to sew charms together to make a quilt. And I had to explaint his to them to. I had a seam quide thing attached to the base of the machine near the needle. I set the machine to low speed (I know yours doesn't have that...my machine I love is a Singer 2010 from 1985!) but this one is new. I told them to just line up the fabric edge to the seam guide, and for them to just "guide" the fabric through, not push with either hand. The feed dogs will pull it through, so just place your left hand on the side of the fabric, not real close to the needle, and guide the bulk of it AFTER it has been through the needle to keep it straight and the right hand mainly just the thumb and fore finger..they guide it "TO" the needle, keeping it straight. I told them..let the machine do the work! And they did and it worked for them, so I was apparently telling it the right way! I have been seing for 45 years...never thought much about how I did it! KEep at it..good luck..it is also one of those things that just come with practice!