View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM
jclinganrey

Dodie - - -

Stack & Whack and One Block Wonder are similar but not exactly the same. The basic cutting directions are pretty much the same between the 2 styles. The big difference comes from putting the blocks together. the Stack & Whack gives you individual swirling blocks, set apart by solid trianges and the OBW gives you a watercolor, soft blending look.

As far as the rest of this discussion goes, the copyright law applies to someone taking a pattern, copying it and re-selling it under their name. Unless specifically stated otherwise, there is NOTHING wrong with making a quilt, displaying it in a show or selling a quilt (credit should be given) you made from a particular pattern, provided you're not mass-producing hundreds and hundreds of the same quilt. In a quilt show, for example, a quilter will state in the description information, the name of the pattern and the designer.

As far as quilt block patterns that have been around 'forever' - - - they're considered public domain and can be used without recrimination, just like we can sing 'Happy Birthday' without the threat of being thrown in jail. lol

We need to remember that these designers who make the quilt patterns we enjoy do this for a living. It's their livelihood. It's their creative talent and their time, energy and effort we're paying for. I can't tell how many times I've read in threads on this board, people asking how to make 'such-and-such' a pattern - - basically asking for the calculations and how to cut/measure. That is what we're getting when we purchase a pattern. They want to know how to MAKE a particular pattern without having to PAY for it. To me, that is wrong. Just my opinion - - -

Jane