View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

My sanity while entertaining has always been in doing as much ahead as possible, long before company arrives ... so I can enjoy the time too. Add to that, I don't have a large kitchen for the guests to help and the roasters, pots, pans, dishes etc. that accumulate in preparing a meal. So the more that can be eliminated in advance, the better!

* MENU and LISTS -- make the plan and then stick to the plan ... almost goof-proof! And less likely to finish the meal and then go OOPS! when you discover something that was not served.

* STUFFING -- I still like mine done in the turkey ... and do extra in the crockpot, as there's just never enough.

* POTATOES -- Night Before Potatoes can be made days ahead and kept in the frig til cooking time; or even weeks ahead and frozen til cooking time. I usually make a day of it and do a bag of potatoes and fill up casseroles. Then back in the freezer, and what I don't use during the holidays, I've got some easy cooking in January!

* LAYERED SALADS -- these can be made a day before, complete with the dressing on top like "icing". Then refrigerated til serving.

* CRANBERRY SAUCE -- make it now, and refrigerate.

* SEMI-POT LUCK -- who says you have to do all the work? When my cousins and families gather, the host/hostess does all the hots. The rest of us bring dessert or salad. To help keep a balance, we sort that within family groups ... so parents and their kids (with separate homes) would decide who'd bring dessert, and who takes salad.

* EXTRA FRIG SPACE -- I set things out in the back of my SUV in the garage. (of course, only if the weather is conducive!)

* EXTRA OVEN SPACE -- A friend purchased one of the electric roaster ovens and for the minimal cost it is, it's been a wonder when we all descend for Christmas. Her DSIL uses the BBQ to cook the turkey and do roasted veggies when we're at her home.

* EXTRA SERVING SPACE -- I made an extra wide ironing board with a rectangle piece of plywood on top. When entertaining, it makes for a great portable buffet server or bar/drinks centre. Just cover with a plastic tablecloth, and it's dressed for the occasion, and no one knows!

* FOOD SAFETY -- PLEASE always keep this in mind!! You can never be too attentive to this issue. Hot foods need to stay hot. Colds, cold. In particular, keep those turkeys cold, til you prep and put them in the oven. And when the meal is over, put the foods properly away.

............... more later, as they come to mind!