View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Default batik block swap quilt

about 2 or 3 years ago I participated in a QB batik block swap. I only swapped 12 blocks but when I got my blocks back I knew I wanted to make a bigger quilt than only 12 blocks. So, over the years, I made 8 more 12" blocks and a bunch of 6" blocks out of crumbs and scraps. It was good little project to have when I felt like doing just a bit of sewing and playing in my stash without working on a bigger project. It was a PIGS for too long though. It isn't quilted yet, that may take another 2 or 3 years!

I also tried Needleturn applique for the first time on this and now have a new passion.

It has been so long since the swap I don't remember the names of all the people I got blocks from. The names I do remember are Dragonfly Nana, MishNJim, madeinmaine, Momto5 (I think). So if you participated in this swap and recognize a block please let me know and I thank you once more.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378469[/ATTACH]
Here is the whole top laid out on my guest/design bed

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378471[/ATTACH]
Here is a close up of the 3rd NT applique block I did. This one I used the method of tracing my design directly on the fabric (top) and turning on my traced line.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]378472[/ATTACH]
And of course I must have a cat block . This block I downloaded a PP NY beauty pattern and forgot to turn off the scaling on my printer so what was supposed to end up as an 8" block only measured 7" finished. So I decided to applique the leaping cat. This one I tried a different method. I traced the cat onto freezer paper and ironed it on to the back. Then cut out around my freezer paper leaving a seam allowance. I left the paper on and used it as my guide to needle turn. I found I like this method better even though it takes a little extra prep. Then I just cut away my background fabric and peeled off the FP after it was appliqued on.
Attached Thumbnails dsc03678.jpg   dsc03680.jpg   dsc03690.jpg  

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-25-2012 at 11:09 AM.