View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
All last night the numbers I wrote upthread were bothering me.
I knew there was something not quite right, but as I had eaten ~24 Zucchini Bread Cupcakes, I was incapable of actually thinking straight.

Now I realize that I had put 7 rounds, instead of 6, on the tree.
I've asked QuiltnNan to delete the two incorrect posts upthread.

The ramblings below takes some of the info from the previous posts.
It's not in any great order - I'm not writing a pattern - just pointing out some issues that may arise while constructing the block.

At least the pictures are uploading (I hope).
eta: not quite - I see the pics correctly placed while I'm writing, but after posting, they turn into invalid attachments. So now they're at the bottom of the post. Weird.

Here's the correct information for a 14" FINISHED block.

The inner tree block FINISHES at 8", with a 1" FINISHED inner white border, and a 2" FINISHED HST block border.
The logs are 1" FINISHED wide.

If you want to make it bigger - change the grid - just maintain the same proportions and it should all fit nicely together.
Well, in a perfect world. ;-)

Piecing normally, I would add the white HST via the Snowball method to the ends of the log strips BEFORE I added them to the block.

Since the logs are CUT 1.5", the white squares (for the Snowball) would also be cut 1.5" also.
Here's a link to a quick guide of the Snowball method if you aren't already familiar with it.:
http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/snowball1.html
Take care when adding each snowball that the diagonal seam is sewn in the correct direction.
(When sewing the white square on the two strips from the same fabric, the diagonal seams will be in opposite directions.
Practice on some scraps - otherwise the background (white) won't be in the right position.)

When adding each log to the tree block, I would line up from the outside of the block - to make sure the HST point will be nice and neat and sharp and still pointy - and sew toward the center.
And then just keep going around.

If the inner tree block doesn't measures 8.5" UNFINSHED (for whatever reason), just adjust the white inner border so the block will end up at 10.5" UNFINSHED.

That way, the HST blocks (2" FINISHED) will fit nicely all the way around.
You will need 24 HST blocks for the border.

I prefer the cut big and trim down method.
I would cut 12 squares of the two fabrics at least 3" square.
Place one square of each color right sides together, draw a diagonal line down the center, sew 1/4" on each side of the line, and cut apart on the drawn line.
Open and press to the darker fabric.
Trim the block down to 2.5" UNFINISHED.

Sew two sets of 5 HST blocks each AND sew two sets of 7 HST blocks each,
making sure the blocks in each set are oriented the same way.

Attach a 5 block border to two opposite sides of the tree block (after the sashing has been added), taking care to match the color placement in the original picture.

Same for the top and bottom borders - 2 adjacent sides are white in and 2 are white out.

Start the tree with the square for the tree trunk (bottom right).
I think the easiest way would be to cut a 2.5" square of the brown trunk fabric, and snowball 3 sides of it with white squares (cut 1.5"), and trim away the excess.

I blew up the picture in the op and I can't quite see those seam lines - there are other ways to construct it - but I don't think it matters much.

Then you can just start adding the logs.
The way I drew it, thinking paper-piecing might an option, was to add a log on the left side of the trunk and then on top with fabric A, then left, top, with fabric B, and so on.
beautiful rendition of the tree, but I got the impression that the red triangles were all flat side up making them pockets for the 24 tiny gifts or notes or whatever for advent.

Still, great drawing for the tree.