View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Donna Bates

Default Carrot Cake w Cream Cheese Frosting

Hi Becky ~ My family loves this one..I collected it in the 70's and the only note on the handwritten recipe says 'Southern Living Cookbook'.
3 cups grated carrots - I use a food processor
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t. ground cinnamon (I use 1 1/2 t.)
4 eggs
1 1/4 c. vegetable oil (sometimes I sub. applesauce for half of the oil - try it both ways & decide for yourself)
1 t. vanilla (I use 2 t.)
1 cup nuts - pecans are perfect (black walnuts work well)
In the large bowl of a mixer combine: flour, sugar baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add the oil and vanilla, then the eggs one at a time. Mix thoroughly and remove the bowl from the mixer and stir in the carrots and nuts. Bake at 350 for 45 min. in a 9x13 glass casserole dish / 30 min. if you use two 9" cake pans. Cool on wire rack. (12 servings from a 9x13) If you're making a two tier round cake you can get 10 nice slices. Be sure to cover the cake rounds with parchment or wax paper on the bottom. AND for either pan: lightly coat with veg spray.
Cream Cheese Frosting: 4 oz. room temp Philly, 1 pound + powdered sugar (sifted) 4 T. margarine. Cream the cream cheese for a minute or two till smooth (best if you use fairly freshly purchased) then add the rest. This yields about 1 3/4 cup - enough for the 9x13 top. OR use these amounts for the two tier and just ice between layers and on top and use a few nuts to garnish the top. Hint: if you roast the pecans the flavor is out of this world.