View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 PM
maviskw

My 10 yr. old Granddaughter wants to sew. My son took my White Jeans Machine home with him about a year ago. Now he and his daughter have picked out a pattern. He doesn't have a clue. So I went over the pattern sheets with him, and told him a bunch of things. H didn't know what selvedge was, but he is one who will probably remember all this. His daughter was not there at the time. When I came home, I found the manual for that machine, and then I made a doll skirt like the pattern he has. The skirt is gathered onto the yolk just below the waist. I had tried to explain gathering, so now he can see for himself what it looks like with all the gathering stitches on and the threads that pull it up. I wish I could be there to help her, but she is 3 hours away. I will send this off in the mail tomorrow, along with some stick pins. I don't think he has any. But he does have stash LOL. When they go to garage sales, they pick up stuff they like. They were breaking a lot of needles, and I don't know why. It worked OK when I was there.
I love helping little kids learn to sew. I have two grandsons who have done a few things with me. And Noah did knitting, too.