Thread: picnic blanket.
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM
stillclock

Default picnic blanket.

i am making a picnic blanket for my daughter and i, sort of for christmas but mostly because i am waiting for the fabric for the next big project to arrive. i'm making a wonky log cabin from the stash in the bin. it's not pretty really...using up all those old ssi fabrics and stuff like that. cute, but i dunno...it doesn't wholly me please me. then i remind myself...it's for picnics. it's fine

we tend to do a lot of things in the evening when the grass is damp, and we are professional beach sitters.

i thought i might use that pul diaper cover stuff for the backing, but then i thought....between the price of it and poking a gazillion holes in it when quilting maybe that was a foolish waster of good pul fabric.

then i looked at cotton duck, but it's not really very water proof and it's so heavy.

then i thought...modern oil cloth is so cheap! what if i made the quilt and backed it as normal, adding snaps to the border?

then i could unsnap the oil cloth and wash the quilt. i could also replace the oil cloth when it wears out without crying over dead fabric.

all i would need to do was buy 100 or so snaps at the same time. not pricey ones...just functional.

can you see the flaws in my plan? so far it seems like the best idea i've come up with.

thoughts?

thanks!

aileen