Old 11-27-2012, 10:21 AM
JudyTheSewer

I used to use my carpeted living room floor. T-pins secured the backing onto the carpet. Then, crawl, stretch, scoot around and pin. Then my knee went out on me and the knee surgery makes crawling very painful. I changed to using a large 8-person dining room table. I put a thin piece of paneling on top so that I won't scratch the table wood while scooping those pins in. I use large black office clips to anchor the backing. I smooth the batting over the backing and the add the top. Then, I roll around on my office chair and pin away. I start with the quilt centered on the table and once that is pinned I'll move it around as necessary so that all sides of the quilt are pinned securely. I was amazed how easy it is and was sorry I didn't always do it this way. So far, my largest quilt is a twin size but I'm thinking I could do a king size using this same method. I never have puckers in my backing and I think partly this is due to the fact that I use so many pins. I put them a palm width apart (every 3-4 inches). The quilt is quite heavy with all of those pins in it! (Using a bed sounds like a good idea except it wouldn't work for me because my back can't handle leaning over for long periods of time. By using the table and a chair my back stays nice a straight and I have no pain.) I hope you find a method that works for you!