Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Mimiqwerty

I use the peninsula counter in my kitchen that separates the cooking area from the dining area. I find the center point of the top, batting, and back (fold them in quarters) and mark with a safety pin. Then I lay the backing down (wrong side up) with the center pin on the counter and the extra backing hanging down on either side of the peninsula counter. Next is the batting and finally the top where I match center pins with the backing and fasten all three layers together. At this point I put a row of safety pins across the center of the quilt connecting all three layers. Then I slide the row of pins to the edge of the counter, peel back the top and use Elmer's school glue on the batting to glue the top down. I smooth with both hands and use a dry warm iron to heat set the glue. I continue sliding the sandwich down until the top half of the quilt top is glued to the batting. Then I repeat for the bottom half of the quilt top by sliding it in the opposite direction. When the entire top is glued down and dried, I flip the sandwich over and do the same thing for the backing. When all layers are glued and dried, I remove the safety pins. I've done a large queen sized quilt this way and it worked great. Being at counter height was wonderful for my back and I have a pad I stand on for my feet and knees. My only problem was that I had to clear off my kitchen counter before I could start. I guess that was a good thing .