View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Tammi, It's not a Singer. When people refer to old machines as Singers they just say that because they are black. Happens all the time.

There's no point in trying to relate the serial number to Singer numbers. The machine is a Vibrating Shuttle. They were not produced by Singer until the mid 1880s.

I have gone through all the photos on Needlebar of other European machines and found no match. I still say it's German - I would be surprised to learn it was anything else.
I was 98% sure it wasn't a Singer too. It was just his wording in the Ad: "the brand is wore off , but looks like a singer", I felt like I shouldn't write off the possibility of a Singer out of hand, but the SLA and the bobbin winder were wrong. I've seen a ton of "Singers" in the Vintage Giggles thread that were labeled White, Kenmore, etc. So I do get what you're saying Muv.

Thanks for the mid 1880s reference. I didn't know when they started with them. That must mean there were very few VS1 machines before the VS2 replaced it. No wonder they're so hard to find.

I still think German too. I read somewhere yesterday that around one of the wars, the plates were pried off a lot of "Berlin" machines, so that they could be sold elsewhere. I see the possibility of 2 holes right under the winder.... if this is one of them, it will be very difficult to identify for sure. The holes do look very close together though.

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
Hey PCDH! I've been prowling Alex's site too, all of the machines made "over there", and can't find a direct match either. It's a good thing I love a good mystery. Thanks for the pretty eye candy!

Doesn't Needlebar have a kitten when we refer people to their resources over there? I thought I remembered a discussion here, and there both, before I gave up on NB.

Originally Posted by Glenda m View Post
What a mystery. Are you going to 'look?' Would also like to know what it is.
We may be going to Calgary this weekend. If we are, it's on the way, and I will definitely be stopping in. I have a standing invitation if he hasn't sold it by then. And if we stop in, you know it will be coming home with me.

I haven't told DH yet, but I figure I sold the 15-91 this weekend, this can't weigh as much, we're less likely to need those teleposts he keeps talking about...