View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Yvonne

Default How I fixed my poor redwork quilt.

A while back I asked for suggestions on how to repair my handquilting errors. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t173669.html
I finally just tucked this thing into a drawer and left it to "think about it's mistakes!" This past month I bit the bullet and undertook to fix the errors of my ways.

1. I flipped the quilt over and very carefully sliced the back and batting in the three spaces where there was excess fabric. Scary? You bet! I only did on space at a time!
2. I slipped a scrap piece of batting into the space (after ironing the front flat!) and drew a line along the second side and then trimmed the batting to fit into the space.
3. Had some iron on tape and so I ironed that little itty-bitty strip of batting into it's space with the tape. Worked just like it was supposed to!
4. Following the QAYG method (kinda) I attached the bandaid to one side of the split back with the sewing machine and then hand stitched the other side.
One space done! Time to slice and dice the second and then the third!
After I repaired the three worst spots on the quilt I just flipped that quilt back over and machine quilted in the sashing as I had originally planned.
So, what have I learned? Hand quilting touches are added last not first! :~)
If I do hand quilt I need to keep the backing a tad bit tauter.
So, would you like to see the results? I'm pleased. Well, after the original mess, who wouldn't be?
Attached Thumbnails redwork-quilt-back.jpg   redwork-quilt-finished.jpg