View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 PM
selm

Red face

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Thanks for all the great insights. My turkey, UNSTUFFED, was 14.9 lbs and was completely thawed. I live about as close to the ocean as you can get here in VA, so it wasn't an altitude problem and I have an oven thermometer and know my oven temp is accurate. I never heard that the meat can be pink and be done. Next year I will try a different method, perhaps an oven bag or starting at a high temp and then lowering it. I've also thought about turning the turkey over and doing it breast down. So, I'll let you all know next year how it turns out.
I got a new stove in March of this year and it was always taking longer to cook things than the old stove. My oven thermometer said it was 25 degrees too low so I then adjusted the temp whenever I used it. I just found that the booklet for my stove tells me how to calibrate it without calling someone in. BUT it also stated not to use an "oven thermometer" such as we all use as it can be off by as much as 45 degrees. So, just how are you supposed to know?
Well, I adjusted the calibration up by 25 degrees and my turkey cooked in the time I used from the USDA website.
So, just saying, maybe you should try another oven thermometer. Weirdest thing about my oven was baking cakes, etc seemed to work with the standard timing. It was meats which took the longest before I made any adjustments. I'm just glad the turkey was done ok. It was a little late because I got it into the oven a little late.