View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Hello Tammi and PinkCastle,

Vickers machines have the serial number behind the pillar, and they don't have that type of bobbin winder, which I have only seen on German machines.

I can well imagine that a German manufacturer's plate would be taken off this machine in Holland when war came. I often wonder whether the reason that my beautiful 1936(ish) Vesta, which has MADE IN GERMANY in bold lettering on the pillar, was shoved away into a cupboard by the owner because they couldn't stand the sight of it. It looks as though it was barely used.

Hey Muv, that's brings up a good point, and something I was using when looking for a match. Do you have recommendations of brands that had the serial number below the pillar like this machine and the Singers did?

I've seen your Vesta, it's gorgeous. It could be it was stuffed in a cupboard somewhere. It looks like there's no sun damage to it either.

ETA: This is the photo that created doubt for me about the Singer thing early on, but I got over it.
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...arnations.html
Photos 2 - 3 show a lovely model 12 with a similar bobbin winder. Similar, but not close enough.

Originally Posted by Whigrose View Post
Not to mention that the shovel head is more rounded and the attaching screw sits much lower than any of the Singers I have here.

best,
d
Those were my first two clues too. I've seen some of the F&R machines with that screw screwed partially out and it looks like there's a spring under it. I'd sure like to get my hands on this machine to see if I can figure out what that's about.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 11-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.