Thread: Bride's Tree
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 07:55 AM
OdessaQuilts

Originally Posted by DJ

Greetings!

I just finished this last night. The "Bride's Tree" motifs are cross-stitched and I decided to put them on a quilted wall hanging. It's for DD#2's wedding gift (no date set yet . . . marying a German young man). Apparently it is a German tradition for the bride to have these ornaments on her tree, but I haven't found any Germans yet who have heard of it . . . I'm sure as soon as they do, they will love the idea :lol: Anyway, I'll make the label when there is a wedding date.

It's approximately 35x38".
Well, I don't know about your particular ornaments, but if you go to the Bronner's Christmas Wonderland website (www.bronners.com), they have sets of beautiful glass ornaments for the German newlywed tree (see http://www.bronners.com/1100426.html). This is a European tradition and each ornament represents different wishes for the newly married couple. Around here, this set is a popular gift at many of the weddings I have been to.

Bronner's, located in nearby Frankenmuth, Michigan, is a truly unique place to shop and is open something like 361 days a year. You can always tell when you are getting into Michigan if you are headed in the right direction, because there are plenty of billboards around the state, directing you there. It is billed as the "world's largest christmas store" and it really does live up to its billing. To truly appreciate the store, you would need more than a day, but most of us just pop in and pop out within a couple of hours. It's really an overwhelming place, but if there is EVER anything you want for a Christmas ornament, they will have it. They even carry things like trees, yard ornaments, menorahs, nativity sets, stockings, candies, and the list goes on and on and on.

This year I am hoping that DH will go there to find me a "quilt" ornament ... one never knows if they will be able to accommodate!

But back to your lovely piece of work, it conveys all the same kinds of messages in a different format. You've done a fabulous job!