Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Try this.
Click the START icon in the lower left corner of your screen....(could show as a blue globe with 4 squares)
Click CONTROL PANEL in the right column that pops up.
Click INTERNET OPTIONS from the list.
Click the GENERAL tab at the top of the list.
Under "Browsing History" click DELETE.
On the list that pops up, click the tiny box by TEMPORARY INTERNET FILES, and COOKIES, and HISTORY.
Click DELETE. A smaller window pops up that shows it's working and it will close when done. (The more frequently you do this the shorter time it will take the computer to accomplish the clean up.)

Alternatively you can do this regularly.
Click START as before.
Click ALL PROGRAMS.
Click ACCESSORIES (Look for it, it WILL be there!)
Click SYSTEM TOOLS.
Click DISK CLEAN-UP.
Click OKAY.

The computer figures how much space you can save.
Click the little box beside "Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin, Temporary Files, and Thumbnails.
Then click OKAY.
Then click DELETE FILES in small window that comes up.
I do this every couple of days to delete cookies, and open extra space in the cache.

I use a program called CCleaner that my paid computer guru put on my laptop. You might google it from Piriform to see if it can be downloaded for free from the internet. I just click that CCleaner icon and it goes from there, eliminating a few clicking steps.

[MTS, [About a site telling her to clear her cache] it's possible that she has never cleared her cache of graphics which have eaten up her data space and that's why an internet site, which probably was not loading properly, asked her to clear her cache. Especially if she has an older computer with less GBs. Graphics are "heavy" users of 'space'.]

Hope this helps you!!

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 11-28-2012 at 07:51 PM.