View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM
nellebelles

I made this quilt for my DD, Laura and DSIL, Darren, to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary. Actually, the whole story is that my sister, Chris and I started making wedding quilts for our children, and nieces and nephews (and our youngest sister, too) but when we started, two of my children had already been married a number of years, so they got left out of the line-up. To be fair, I decided that I needed to make quilts for them too. So last year, I made a quilt for my oldest DS, Jimmy and DDIL, Joanie. This year my goal was to make a wedding/anniversary quilt for my DD and her DH. I had been looking for a pattern for awhile that would be just perfect for them. Laura loves butterflies and calla lilies, so that was what I kept in mind as I looked for the perfect pattern. I came across this pattern, The Country Lily Quilt, by Cheryl Benner and Rachel Pellman, and knew it was the right one. I was a little intimidated at first--there was so much applique! I do love doing applique, but I wanted this quilt to be as close to perfect as possible (aren't all of us quilters like that though?!!!). Well, I started this quilt in February, had it quilted (with butterflies) in September and got it done about the first week of October. I changed the binding to include prairie points instead of a zig-zag border. I just liked it better that way.
I had decided to enter it in the quilt show. When I picked up the quilt from the quilter, I told her I was going to enter it. Well, she just happened to be the chairman of the quilt show, and she told me that the deadline had passed--by one day! I was heart-sick! She told me to call the coordinator and see if they had reached the maximum # of quilts, which was 600. I called as soon as I got out to the car, and she gave me permission to enter late. I'm so glad I did.
I got third place in the category I entered it in, which was applique/machine quilted. I was so excited!
I just had major foot surgery on October 7th, and am on pretty strict bed rest until I see the doctor again on the 22nd. I wanted so badly to go to the quilt show and see my quilt there. Well, DH said he would do whatever I needed to be able to go. We dusted off my wheelchair and headed out. Laura and Darren and their two beautiful little girls, my DGD's met us there and I got pictures! I was a mess by the time I got back home, but it was worth it!
I'm proud of the job I did and am so pleased to be able to give this quilt to my DD and DSIL!

This is of me with the quilt, showing my third place ribbon--not too bad, I figure since it was my first time entering in the quilt show!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26109[/ATTACH]

This one is of Laura and Darren with their quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]28092[/ATTACH]

This shows the quilt, hanging at the quilt show. It was too large to hang all of it, so they folded under the bottom. At the bottom of the quilt are more single calla lilies, just like the side borders.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]48827[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-26109.jpe   attachment-28092.jpe   attachment-48827.jpe