View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM
mooshie

Default LA Quilter's "going rate"

So, I've been quilting just personal stuff on a friend's LA machine for a couple of years now, and she is super awesome! She has allowed me to use her machine if she didn't need it and just pay her for the thread (I provide all my materials, top, batting, backing). And I have to get it done in one day so she can use it the next day, which is totally understandable. So, when I say I just got my machine, it's not that I am totally inexperienced.

Anyway, I've just gotten my very own LA machine and love using it! So, I am wanting to start doing quilts for people. But I am newer at this, I've never been paid to do quilts for other people and I really usually only do stippling. I'm planning to just do stippling for people to start. I'm thinking about offering different designs when I have more practice at the other designs, but really for who knows how long I will only offer stippling.

So, I'm wondering, what is the going rate for a quilter to charge for stippling? I had a lady ask me for pricing just the other day, and since I'm new at offering this to people I just told her $85 for a queen, and that I'm currently just doing stippling. She said that was pretty good.

So, now I need to work out the pricing for all the other sizes.

I'd love some input! Maybe I should also ask around so I know what others in my area are charging?
Thanks in advance for your help.
I love my new machine!
(Babylock Crown Jewel)