Thread: itchy dog
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:53 AM
quiltgal

The symptoms of mange depend on which type of mite is present. Demodectic mange tends to cause hair loss, bald spots, scabbing and sores. Secondary bacterial infections can make demodectic mange an itchy and uncomfortable disease.

Sarcoptic mange tends to cause intense itching. It can result in restlessness and frantic scratching, symptoms that generally appear one week after exposure. It also can result in hair loss, reddened skin, body sores and scabs. The most commonly affected areas are a dog’s ears, elbows, face and legs, but it can rapidly spread to the entire body.

Benadryl and other skin treatments treat the symptoms not the CAUSE! The dog will continue to be itchy (though less) until you treat the cause! I have heard this from several dog owners and the vets are over looking the obvious because a lot of them have not seen mange (though I do not understand why since it is quite common). Most of the mange is not the genetic type and very treatable if the vet will stop with the allergies to grass! That was what my son was told by two different vets until he went to the last one that recognized mange since he had seen it before as he had treated shelter dogs.