View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 AM
SSTeacher

Well, Scissor Queen, we were kind of "molded alike." My first quilt was the Double Irish Chain--traced every piece with a cardboard template and cut each piece out individually (about 25 years ago). My Mother-in-law said you could not double the material since it might not be the exact size. I also hand-pieced the whole quilt (Queen size). I had some church ladies handquilt it since it was for my niece's wedding. At her Bridal Shower, I wrapped samples of the fabric in a box and said on my note: "Your quilt to be."

My maternal Grandmother quilted and as a very young child, she would let me trace the cardboard templates to her fabric and even cut some out as I got older. So, the love of quilts was instilled at a young age. I have finished six quilts. The rest are on-going projects that just need borders or need blocks joined. My husband (a great quilt supporter), says I get on too many rabbit trails, like place mats and table runners--I also did a wall hanging in my very first quilt class quite a few years ago. Then there is the "water color" wall hanging (Amish) that I dearly love. I got the kit at the Hampton Quilt Show.

We are heading to Lancaster the first week in November and he is exercising his arm strength so he can hold the bolts of fabric :lol: I am so blessed to have him as an encouragement. Finished six place mats this past Saturday for an Open House and he walked in my sewing room and saw them laying there and said, "they are beautiful." That made it worth all the rush to finish them.

Thank you all for sharing all of your inside stories on quilting. All I need to do is talk about quilting and I want to go and start quilting more.