View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
What a bummer! It depends on the machine whether the stitch length goes to zero or not. With my Baby Lock, I have to set the stitch-length to 3.5 or 4 to get a decent FMQ stitch. My Pfaff needs to go to zero.
On most machines it probably doesn't matter whether you change the stitch length to zero, but if you don't the feed dogs are going to be going back and forth needlessly. Why put wear on a part if you are not using it? Most manufacturers include setting the stitch length to zero as one of the steps in getting ready to quilt.

EllieGirl, hang in there. We all make mistakes, and I've certainly made worse ones that this. One time I made what was to be a very special suit dress and on the final step, slashing the button holes, my seam ripper got away from me and I slashed an inch beyond the end of the button hole, front and center. I didn't have enough of the fabric to replace that section. That was after about 35 years of sewing experience. Bleurk. One reason to love quilting: no button holes.