Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM
dunngriffith

Default Finished Husband's Christmas Guilt- very unmanly!!

This fall my dh and I went to an Amish auction and out of all the beautiful quilts he liked this one the best. I couldn't buy it at $900 so I took a picture of the center and drafted my own pattern. I remembered there was a vine around the edge but didn't remember the details and since I had a lot of extra hearts cut out This is what I did. My brain got rattled trying to figure out how to get it all perfectly balanced around the edge so I tossed out the calculator and just drew the edging waves freehand. It is pretty obvious that my waves got tighter the farther I went because none of the sides or corners match. The good part of it is that he probably won't notice and if he does it won't make it of any less worth in his eyes. Recently I asked how I should quilt it. Thanks for all the suggestions. I love feathers but I'm no better at getting them perfect than I did the edge. So I decided to outline and cross hatch. It is in 4" squares (the largest my polyester batting recommends) and turned out really soft. I washed it and it bled around the maroon hearts. I will have to get something to pull that out. Until then I boxed and wrapped it so he wouldn't see it. I enjoyed making it, imperfections and all!
Attached Thumbnails toms-christmas-quilt.jpg   toms-finished.jpg